On January 25th, No. 45 issued an Executive Order (EO) initiating his plan to enforce immigration laws by "removing illegal aliens" that:
- Have been convicted of any criminal offense;
- Have been charged with any criminal offense, and offense hasn't been resolved;
- Have committed acts that constituted a chargeable criminal offense;
- Have engaged in fraud or willful misrepresentation in connection with any official matter or application before a governmental agency;
- Have abused public benefits program(s);
- Are subject to a final order of removal or not complied with deportation orders;
- In the judgment of an immigration officer, pose a risk to public safety or national security.
The EO also specifies that sanctuary jurisdictions -- or locations that willfully refuse to comply with this order and thus protect undocumented peoples -- are not eligible for Federal grants.
Since this EO was signed, immigration authorities have arrested hundreds of undocumented immigrants. Raids have been reported and confirmed in homes and workplaces in Atlanta, Chicago, New York, the LA area, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
HOWEVER, the raids reportedly went beyond the above-listed states, arresting those weithout criminal records, as well.
If no one steps up, this will be the start to Trump's pledge to deport 3 million undocumented immigrants with criminal records. So, what next?
- KNOW YOUR RIGHTS -- Vote Latino has this wonderful, interactive guide to guide you through what to do at phase. You can also request a free download of your Deportation Defense Card here. It comes in multiple languages, and provides a hotline number for additional help. The Immigrant Legal Resource Center has these free red cards to post on your door, or to carry with you. These cards, in English and Spanish, claim your right to exercise constitutional rights as afforded under the 4th and 5th Amendments.
- KNOW YOUR RESOURCES -- The Immigrant Defense Project has a comprehensive Ice Raids Toolkit here, and you can find a detailed list of linked resources here from BRYCS. For more, check our the RESOURCE page here on Couch Activism.
- KNOW HOW TO HELP -- Quick! Sign this petition to call on Paul Ryan to stand up for immigrants. Not in danger of deportation? Download these resources anyway to help others.
Feel better? Us, neither.
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
- Martin Niemöller