Have you been wondering how much the back and forth between D.C. and the "Winter White House" have cost? Last weekend, I flew out of D.C. to attend a wedding in LA -- and it occurred to me that he's spending millions of dollars for just a matter of hours in Florida. Luckily, Couch Activism is part of the Action Alliance, and our colleagues at 2 Hours a Week were all over that this week. This post is inspired by 2 Hours a Week's Action 78 post.
- One month of 45's Administration spent nearly what the Obama administration spent in a year.
- When a president travels, the taxpayers foot the bill for their security. But 45 has been out of the office nearly every weekend since the inauguration. Perhaps he'd like to slow his roll, because broken down, it looks like this:
- $60,000 in overtime pay per day for local law enforcement officials every time he visits Mar-a-Lago = $2.9 million annually at the rate of two visits a month
- $500,000 dollars a day to guard Trump Tower, or $182.5 million annually. This began after the election.
- $1.5 million dollars per year year for the Secret Service to rent a floor of Trump Tower, which 45 profits from.
- $100,000 tab when his children travelled for business - that’s $1.2 million annually if they travel once a month, covered by taxpayers
Math, courtesy of 2 Hours A Day: This alone is $308.5 million annually. 25 times more than the average $12 million the Obamas spent in one year. It's also three times more, in a single year, than the $97 million the Obamas spent during their entire eight years in the White House.
- 123,790 Veteran families’ rapid rehousing when they become homeless at a cost of $2,480 per household.
- 322 full-time credit counselors to provide Veteran’s with financial advice when they fall on hard times at a cost of $35,060 per counselor, per year.
- 2,300 law enforcement jobs created or saved via the Community Oriented Policing Services – COPS – program at a cost of $119 million for 900 jobs protected or created.
- 2 years of funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership to help small and medium sized manufacturing companies stay competitive and create jobs.
- 1 year of funding for the Economic Development Administration to help economically depressed communities negatively impacted by globalization spur entrepreneurship, investment, economic growth and job creation.
- 61% of the annual budget for Legal Aid Societies across the U.S. which provides free legal representation for the poor.
- 64% percent of the annual budget for the Office of Violence Against Women.
Call your Senators and Representatives and urge them to comment on the President's excessive spending! Here's a script courtesy of 2 Hours A Week:
"Hi I’m ____, calling Senator/Representative ___ to express my concern about the President’s excessive traveling and lifestyle at the expense of tax payers.
In a month the President has spent what Obama spent on travel and security in a year.
If he continues at this pace, including other security and travel costs for him and his family, it will cost taxpayers upwards of $308.5 million dollars a year!
That is 25 times more than what Obamas spent in a year! It is three times more than Obama spent in eight years!
I urge Senator/Representative __ to call the President out on wasting tax payer money to go play golf and subsidize his family’s business travel!"