About The Fiscal Ship
"The Fiscal Ship challenges you to put the federal budget on a sustainable course. Measured as a share of gross domestic product, the federal debt is higher than at any time since the end of World War II and projected to climb to unprecedented levels. America is looking at a permanent, growing mismatch between revenues and spending, and policymakers are faced with difficult decisions about how to reconcile important government priorities—including retirement and health benefits promised to the growing number of old folks—with the tax revenues that the current tax code will yield. Today’s tax code won’t yield enough revenue to pay for basic services of government plus the retirement and health benefits promised to the growing number of old folks. So your mission is to pick from a menu of tax and spending options to reduce the debt from projected levels over the next 25 years. Small changes to spending and taxes won’t suffice. The choices are difficult, but the goal is achievable.
But budget decisions aren’t only about fiscal sustainability. They also shape the kind of country we live in. To win the game, you need to find a combination of policies that match your values and priorities AND set the budget on a sustainable course."
- Resist 45's handouts to war profiters.
- Protect national conservation efforts.
- Ask Congress to reject 45's "skinny budget."
- Ask Congress to resist 45's budget.
- Sign a DNC petition to stop 45's budget.
- Join the Network for Public Education: Do not slash funding for disadvantaged students to fund school privatization.
- Sign the petition to Preserve Funding for the IMLS, NEH, NEA, and PBS #saveimls
- Two petitions to tell Congress to save NPR and PBS from 45's "skinny budget:" Martin Heinrich and the Free Press Action Fund.
- Join OXFAM America in telling 45 to protect life-saving programs.
Contact congress / Letters to Local Newspapers
- Text "RESIST" to 50409 and the free ResistBot will generate and send a fax to your members of congress on whatever topics you'd like!
- Call your Congresspersons and write letters to the editors of your local newspapers.
- Email Congress about Meals on Wheels.
- Review the Programs that will be most impacted by 45's budget--from NASA to economic development in the Mississippi Delta.
- Take a deep dive into the full text of 45's budget.
- Understand "the other side," via New York Times and CNN.
- How will this budget impact people living with HIV / AIDS?