45 is making policy via Twitter again. Which I discovered only after spending 20 minutes looking for a policy paper on his "announcement" yesterday. So here's the ~entirety~ of the policy, screenshot below:
As usual, his arguments don't seem to align with any sort of facts:
- Cost of Healthcare: to contextualize military healthcare spending, the US spends 5 times as much on Viagra as it would trans healthcare. According to a 2014 RAND report, there are an estimated 1,320–6,630 trans service members in the active duty, but not all will seek gender transition–related treatment
- Effectiveness in the Military: that same RAND report found that previous integration efforts and the experiences of foreign militaries indicate a minimal likely impact on force readiness
In the absence of any logic, we can surmise that this is another example of 45 disregarding the best interest of Americans to embark on a bigotry spree. A surprise, I'm sure.
The military is an imperialist tool with a multitude of problems that need to be addressed at the national and international scope, given. In case you don't find the sheer notion of targeting and disempowering a group adequately terrible, let's put this in terms of economics. Many Americans are looking for a job with a stable income, upward mobility and benefits, this is particularly true for transgender people. UCLA's Williams Institute finds, "transgender people are four times as likely to have a household income under $10,000 and twice as likely to be unemployed as the typical person in the U.S. Ninety percent of those surveyed reported experiencing harassment, mistreatment, or discrimination on the job. Almost one in five reported being homeless at some point in their lives." Enlisting in the military can provide income security, educational opportunities, and housing. Boxing out an entire population of people from this government-funded opportunity is absurd.
- Here are two overviews by Washington Post, the ACLU and Politico
- Here's a report by RAND, "Assessing the Implications of Allowing Transgender Personnel to serve openly in the Military"
- Donate and sign a petition: ACLU.
- Get some information from and donate to the LGBTQIA-supporting organizations on the Couch Activism Resource List
- Give the White House some feedback and contact the Secretary of Defense,Jim Mattis at Secretary of Defense 1000 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1000 or by phone 703-571-3343.
- Sign the Win Without War petition.
Get Off the Couch